Monday 18 April 2011

My Dad deserves a huge thank you!

This is a slightly self indulgent post, but it is for a very good reason! As you all know we are going on the Cannonball Run this year. We are very excited but we had a few worries as the car had a new engine fitted this winter and there were a few problems - actually more like 50 million problems!!! Well I happened to know just the man for the job, it was just a case of getting him in the right place at the right time (I will explain why later) well my Dad arrived last Monday and was put straight to work with me as his helper! We finished the car last night (Sunday) we worked non stop! That is why there has been complete silence on the blog for a week! Dad and John on the way to a tea break! Meet Kenny Montgomery, he is a Marine Engineer and drives ships as his day job. I am his middle daughter, this is the first time in two and a half years that I have seen my Dad, whenever I go home to my parents house he is away we always miss each other. As you can imagine we have talked non stop for days!
Dad and me in our matching orange boiler suits, I have learnt so much, Dad is a very good and patient teacher, there was so much to do and even when I had had enough he carried on. Dad has spent a lifetime driving ships and is highly qualified, he has amazing stories to tell from all around the world. There really is nothing he can't do and he really encourages me to use my reasoning to work towards a solution. Dad is a perfectionist and will go to great lengths to make sure everything is spot on. I will do another post with details of all the things we changed/mended/hit with a big hammer!
This is the last ship my Dad drove, it is a tanker and he took it from Guangzhow (China) to Callao (Peru) it was not the best trip, lots went wrong instead of being a 40 day trip is ended up being 22 weeks! I think he was pleased to see the back of that one! John and I took my Dad to the train station this morning and once again I was reduced to a five year old girl saying goodbye to her Daddy as he went back to sea and cried buckets. He is going to hospital to have an operation on Wednesday so wish him luck. I cannot thank you enough Dad, not only have you saved us thousands of pounds, I know the work has been carried out to the highest standard. I am incredibly grateful and really appreciated the chance to have my Daddy all to myself for a whole week!

No comments:

Post a Comment